Other population centres in the municipality include Wallaceburg, Blenheim and Tilbury, Ridgetown and Dresden.
The Lower Thames River runs through Chatham–Kent to Lake St.
It then became the Chatham-Kent Fire Department upon amalgamation.
The county also had separate police departments until 1998.
It was built as a naval dockyard, a characteristic shared by Chatham, Kent, England.
In England, the name Chatham came from the British root ceto and the Old English ham thus meaning a forest settlement.
The city of Chatham, as well as the towns of Wallaceburg, Dresden, and Tilbury, each had their own departments.
The Chatham-Kent Police Service was formed on September 1, 1998.
By 1869, the population was 3,000 in this industrial area with several mills, foundries, and breweries; a great deal of wood was being produced.
A steamboat offered transportation to Windsor and Detroit. Before 1998, Kent County consisted of the townships of Camden, Chatham, Dover, Harwich, Howard, Orford, Raleigh, Romney, Tilbury East and Zone.
At 2,458 square kilometres, Chatham-Kent is the 12th largest municipality by area in Canada and the largest in southwestern Ontario.
Over 44,000 of the 107,000 residents live in the former City of Chatham.
During the 19th century, the area was part of the Underground Railroad.